Saturday, December 3, 2016

GPD Win 10 - second look


A few setup glitches... Entering the provided key to activate Windows 10 generated an error message. An email to support@dinodirect.com was answered in hours and provided a new key that successfully activated.


  

Attempting to install Office suite from Office 365 resulted in an error message, Error Code: 30125-1011 (404). A little googling provided an answer, apparently there was a conflict between Office installs. I downloaded and ran the uninstall tool and then Office loaded just fine:


A few other screen grabs:

 
 

OK, so far so good. I have the display at 800x600 so that I can comfortably read the text and use my finger as a stylus. I also have no interest whatsoever in using this for gaming, even though that is what this was primarily built for! 

I am attempting to see if this can replace my now ancient Zaurus SL-C3200 (have been using a Zaurus since 2002). I have tried many replacements, such as the Viliv N5, Cool Bphone, UMID M1, Fujitsu Lifebook UH 900Libretto W105-L251, etc., see below) without finding something better, am trying once more!


It is too early to understand if the battery life will be sufficient for my usage patterns, and if this will be able to dethrone the Zaurus!

GPD Win - first look 

GPD Win reviews:
GPD WIN Review: Mobile Windows 10 for gaming (Slashgear)
Pocket-sized Windows Gaming PC - LinusTechtips (YouTube video)

No comments:

Post a Comment