Monday, July 28, 2008

Hustling the hustler (lapsus linguae?)



While in Berlin Senator Obama briefly stopped by the Ritz Carlton gym to work out. As he was leaving the premises a young woman there asked him to pose with her for a photo, which he did. She turned out to be reporter for the German magazine Bild, who subsequently wrote a rather school-girly, breathless article… For example: “Hi, how’s it going?” asks Obama in his deep voice. My heart beats… Obama (with toned arms and a strong back) puts on his headphones… “My name’s Judith” I reply. “I’m Barack Obama, nice to meet you,” he says, and puts his arm across my shoulder. I put my arm around his hip, wow, he didn’t even sweat. WHAT A MAN! (sic)

Well this set off a mini brouhaha. And apparently embarassed Senator Obama. Spiegel reports that Senator Obama subsequently said, "She hustled us."

Well and good. However, and here’s where it gets unintentionally funny, Obama (speaking to Maureen Dowd) went on to liken his experience in the Berlin gym with a scene from the movie ‘The Color of Money.’ Obama said, "Do you remember 'The Color of Money' with Paul Newman? And Forest Whitaker is sort of sitting there, acting like he doesn't know how to play pool. And then he hustles the hustler."

I worked out with Obama!
Obama Felt 'Hustled' by German Journalist

No comments:

Post a Comment