Sunday, February 16, 2014

More NEC Medias W N05-E

 
NEC Medias W N-05E first lookJan 28th, 2014
NEC Medias W N-05-E second look- Feb 2nd, 2014

I really like this phone, even with some major drawbacks

First issue: no keyboard, however I'm surviving better so far with this phone than I have with other non-keyboard phones I have tried (I'm a definite "keyboard guy" which is why I have stuck with the BB)... 

Second issue: since using T-Mobile in a non-4G area the phone does not support the frequencies used by T-Mobile, so I'm doing all my data over WiFi as opposed to the phone. Quick Update: I did not have my APN values setup correctly, see here for more on connectivity...

Third issue: This phone is on version 4.1 and it's probably unlikely that OS upgrades will be supported...
I bought this as a gadget because of the two screens, and have been able to set up all the core programs I use (UberSocial Pro for Twitter, JABPLite for financial info, Evernote, Sonos, WeatherBug, MapQuest, Amazon Kindle, Flipboard, Chess, weight-control and blood sugar tracking apps, SplashID for passwords, PocketManga, and  QuickOffice; along with contacts, calendar, email, gallery, music player, video player, and various utility programs.), and make the switch...

My use is such that the battery still usually has around 40% left at the end of the day. Am looking for a case (have ordered a couple of generic cases, more to come). Currently I'm carrying the phone loose in my pocket and even though when closed the 2 screens are on the outside, they are Gorilla-glass and so have encountered no problems. There are very few accessories specifically for this phone/model, though there are screen protectors available via Ebay. I haven't taken many photos yet or had time to monkey with the camera settings, so the ones I have (see two examples at bottom)  are satisfactory but not particularly good quality...

However, in spite of its deficiencies it is growing on me.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment